17 Spruceside Ave
Heritage Charm Masterfully Made Modern in this Kirkendall South StunnerSend This Listing To A Friend
Both historic and contemporary, this striking five-bedroom, four-bath home south of Aberdeen was thoroughly and thoughtfully overhauled to bring out its best.
Natural light streams through the spacious open concept main floor thanks to windows on all sides, including an expanded front window plus an interior glass wall. The modern, airy feel is the perfect stage to highlight the original character that has been carefully maintained (and celebrated) throughout the home.
There is an entryway with a closet to corral clutter, a proper foyer with a gorgeous heritage staircase, and an original leaded glass accent window. And, there’s a private half bath tucked away from the living space.
The open concept living/dining/kitchen area is one of those spaces that makes you exhale when you see it. It feels like the home you’ve always imagined but never quite found in real life. There are natural wood features, hardwood floors, a gas fireplace in the living room, exceptional flow and a roomy, modern kitchen with Bosch appliances and lots of storage and seating.
There are five above-grade bedrooms, including a sun-filled 3rd-floor principal bedroom with an ensuite bath and walk-in closet, which offers lots of flexibility for those working from home. Downstairs, there is a big, open playroom, family room or teen hangout space, separate laundry room, another full bath, and a bonus room.
The exterior space is beautiful. The house has serious curb appeal, and the backyard is so lovely with a gorgeous deck with a gas BBQ hookup. Landscaped with low maintenance plants plus planter boxes, it’s perfect for veggies and herbs (they get full sun). There is room for kids to run around and a shed for storage, plus storage space under the deck.
Out of sight, a lot of the expensive but not terribly sexy upgrades (that offer more comfort than cosmetics) have been completed. The basement has full interior waterproofing, the lead water line was replaced, the weeping tile is in place, there is a backflow valve and a sump pump, leak alarms are installed, and a high-efficiency condensing hot water tank.
5 Things We Love
- The basement – fully finished including a new sump pump, weeping tile, subfloors (nice and level) and leak detectors; has a great family room, bonus room and storage space; great ceiling height; could easily be a nanny suite with a bedroom and private 3-piece bathroom.
- There are five fully-functional bedrooms above-grade, including a third-floor principal with ensuite. This layout offers both space and options for those working from home (i.e., a three-bedroom house plus two offices, four-bedroom home plus office, three bedrooms plus office and yoga room, etc.) PLUS the basement space.
- Four bathrooms – includes 4-piece ensuite for principal bedroom on 3rd floor (shower, toilet, bidet & sink), 4-piece with tub on the second floor, main floor powder room (this is rare for this style of home in this neighbourhood) and 3-piece in the basement
- Gorgeous (and functional) curb appeal – the custom wide, open porch with stairs that span the width of the home and inviting yard are perfect for hanging out with the kids and chatting with the neighbours. There is a park and a playground just a few houses away that you can see from the porch
- The neighbourhood. Incredible neighbours make it one of the friendliest places in Hamilton. All the kids play together, and the proximity to parks is so great. Everything is walkable. You can get your groceries, get entertained, go to a park, drop your kids off at school, all within a short walk.
About Kirkendall South
Kirkendall is easily the most desirable neighbourhood for families in the lower city.
Home of the Locke Street South Shopping District (which is very similar to Roncesvalles in Toronto if you’re not from Hamilton) with stores, restaurants, food shops, farmers market, summer festivals etc. – less than 10 minutes walk away.
Great for outdoorsy people, you’ll find entrances to each of the Bruce Trail, Chedoke Radial Trail, and the Dundurn Stairs (if running to the top of the Niagara Escarpment if that’s your idea of a fun Sunday AM) in the neighbourhood – a 10-min walk from the front door.