Farmhouse Charm Meets Mid-Century Design Meets Cottage Life in Prince Edward CountySend This Listing To A Friend
Ever dreamed of owning a private getaway in Prince Edward County, just minutes from Sandbanks Provincial Park and beach? A place to escape the city on weekends with friends, with potential Airbnb opportunities? Or maybe you’re looking to exit urban life and work-from-home in one of Ontario’s cottage and culture hot spots, just 2.5 hours from Toronto?
This eclectic and restored 1860’s farmhouse and coach house/bunkie sit on a 2.5 acre treed lot in West Lake, complete with a Big Red Barn. It’s 100% county, with rustic elements like reclaimed wood, tin ceilings and barn metal doors.
Relax or hang out with friends in the farmhouse, with 2 private bedrooms (one with a fireplace!), a generously-sized living/dining area with gas fireplace, modern kitchen complete with new stainless steel appliances, a dishwasher and 2 full bathrooms. Dine al fresco on the back deck, overlooking the expansive property and barn!
The first floor of the bunkie features a living and dining area (with funky gas fireplace), bathroom and fully-equipped kitchen leading out to a private enclosed gazebo overlooking the lush treed lot and barn. The entire second floor is a loft bedroom & lounge/work area, with exposed wood beams and cathedral ceiling.
Whether perfecting your best downward dog, curling up with a good book or indulging in a glass of County wine with friends, the gazebo is the place to just be on a hot summer night.
Other Things You Should Know About This Home
- Enjoy this property year-round
- A new oversized septic tank and bed was installed in 2019
- Well (with some of the best water in the County) and brand-new water softener and UV filtration system for peace of mind.
- The property has been extremely well maintained, with extensive masonry and brickwork completed in 2018, upgraded gas line to the bunkie, and new gutters & downspouts
- Other renovations and upgrades since 2018: new flooring in the farmhouse, conversion into 2 fully separated bedrooms, new appliances throughout (including washer/dryer), new tankless hot water heater in the bunkie, and more.
- It was a successful Airbnb for the last few years and the farmhouse is eligible for a short-term accommodation license (rented for $230-350/night); the bunkie isn’t currently considered a legal dwelling but was also rented out for $175-220/night (summer rates); a minor variance would bring it to full compliance and make it also eligible under the STA license. Existing July/August reservations could be transferred to the new owner or cancelled.
The Lot and Location
There’s plenty of exploring to do at the property, whether you’re into picnics or bonfire sing-alongs, or sunbathing on the deck…but there’s also the incomparable PEC location:
- 4-minutes away: the white sand beaches and clear waters at Sandbanks Provincial Park (12-minute bike ride)
- 8-minutes away: the quaint shops, galleries and the famous Slickers Ice Cream Parlour in Bloomfield
- 15-minutes away: the restaurants, craft breweries, art studios, parks, shopping and grocery stores in Picton
- 15-minutes away: the wineries, farmer’s market, beaches and foodie destinations in Wellington
- Up the street: fishing, boating, kayaking, SUP’s, pontoon boats, jet ski and flyboard jet pack rentals; an all-age inflatable water park; tubing and banana boat ride.
About Prince Edward County
Prince Edward County is one of Ontario’s hottest destinations for urban rat-race dropouts, artists, snowbirds, retirees and young families looking for both the peace and tranquillity of ‘cottage country’ and a thriving winery/foodie/craft beer/arts scene.
While it sounds like a quaint little area, Prince Edward County actually spans more than 80km from east to west. With more than 800km of shoreline and exceptionally diverse geography, it’s home to incredible beaches, waterways, natural landscapes and geological foundations, ideal for those who want to get away from the city and spend time outdoors. Those seeking arts and culture will find museums, live music, theatre, artisan shops, textiles and more and foodies will delight in farm to table dining experiences and 40+ wineries, craft breweries and spirit distillers.
Prince Edward County is just a 2.5 hour drive from Toronto or 2 hours from Ottawa.
Whether by car or by bike, it’s easy to reach Sandbanks Beach, trendy restaurants, outdoor activities and more.