It’s always baffled me that the Toronto Real Estate Board doesn’t publish any real estate agent statistics. Doesn’t the public have a right to know that they’ve hired an agent who has experience?
Then again, I look at the statistics of the nearly 38,000 Toronto real estate agents (for the 12 months ending June 2013) and I shouldn’t really be that surprised:
- 24% of agents sold absolutely nothing. Nothing!!!
- 36% of agents (that’s 13,616 agents) sold 3 homes or less. In 12 months.
- 57% of agents (21,748 agents) sold 8 homes or less
So then of course, you have to wonder – how many homes did the top agents sell? If an agent sold …
- 9 homes in those 12 months, they were in the top 21%
- 16 homes, they were in the top 8.64%.
- 20 home sold got them in the top 5.5%
- 30 homes got them in the top 2.23%
- 43 homes sold got those agents in the top 1%
When I look at those statistics, it’s a little less exciting to have made the top 25 agents list in Toronto’s downtown district (C1) for those months. Though I guess my mom and dad are still proud.
If you’re looking to buy or sell in Toronto, make sure you’re working with someone who has experience and a track record of success. You don’t get your hair cut by a hairdresser trainee (who for the record, is required to get 1,500 hours of practice and do an apprenticeship). Don’t leave the sale or purchase of your biggest asset to an amateur!